At ZUZU & CO we are committed to doing our very best to be part of positive change in the world, for the future of our planet and our children.
ECONYL® regenerated nylon
Our solid coloured swimwear is made from Cervico Vita, a sustainable techno-fabric made of ECONYL® regenerated nylon. ECONYL® regenerated nylon is made by recovering nylon waste - such as fishing nets from the oceans and aquaculture, fabric scraps from mills and carpets destined for landfill – and turning it into virgin quality nylon yarn for the fashion and interior industries. Discover more about the process here.
Benefits of using ECONYL® regenerated nylon:
- As well as being a solution to waste, ECONYL® regenerated nylon is also better when it comes to climate change. It reduces the global warming impact of nylon by up to 90% compared with the material from oil.
- Reduces water, oil and energy consumption
- Reduces air, water, and soil contamination
- ECONYL® fabrics can be recycled infinitely without losing quality, supporting the vision of a more circular fashion industry.
- The goal is that once all products containing ECONYL® are no longer useful to customers, they can go back into step one of the Regeneration System.
- For every 10,000 tonnes of raw materials recycled into ECONYL® 70,000 barrels of crude oil are saved, and 57,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions are avoided compared to traditional production methods.
We use REPREVE® polyester for all printed swimwear. REPREVE® is a performance fiber made from recycled plastic bottles and post-industrial waste. Waste material is chopped, ground, washed, melted and reformulated into high quality REPREVE® chip. The REPREVE® chips are blended, melted and extruded to make REPREVE® fiber, which is then transformed into yarn and then fabric. This unique fiber has inherent performance properties, such as moisture-wicking, thermal regulation, order control, cushioning, and resilience. Compared to virgin fiber, REPREVE® helps to offset the use of petroleum, emitting fewer greenhouse gases and conserving water and energy in the process.
Discover more about the process here.
STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®
The Oeko-Tex Standard 100 is the world’s leading label for textiles screened for harmful substances, and both ECONYL® yarn and REPREVE® yarn are certified as STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®. This testifies that the yarns are free of harmful levels of more than 100 restricted chemicals. Therefore we can assure you that our fabrics are safe against your child's skin, and on our planet.
ETHICALLY PRODUCED IN AUSTRALIA
We design and make all our swimwear in Brisbane, Australia. Producing locally allows us to support other local women-led businesses and produce on a smaller scale. We create small amounts of each collection, which makes them not only exclusive pieces but also allows us to be more sustainable. We minimise waste by making scrunchies of leftover material.
ECO PACKAGING & POSTAGE
We use plastic-free packaging for all our orders. Our swimwear is packaged in cotton drawstring bags which can be reused to store kids toys, makeup, jewellery....the list is endless. Our mailing satchels, by Hero Packaging, are 100% home-compostable and made from cornstarch and BPAT. To compost them at home, simply remove the labels, cut them up and place in your compost bin as “brown” materials. These will completely break down within 90-120 days in a home-compostable environment.
If you have suggestions or feedback for us on how we can do better, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you.